Thursday, March 20, 2008

Sinus headaches, baseball and cups

Ahhhh, spring is in the air, and it's killing me. I never used to get allergies! Now each year as I get older it gets worse and worse - and this year it's by far the worst it's ever been. My eyes itch, my ears itch, my throat is raw and I am an absolute snot factory. Some of those symptoms have subsided and now I am left with a major sinus headache. I took a dizzying array of allergy medicines today that helped a little but mostly left me feeling jittery - with a sinus headache. Actually I think I am on the downhill side of this now though...thank goodness!

I think something that certainly did not help my situation was that my boys have started baseball practice. As I was driving home from my oldest son's (Jake) end of the season basketball party (held at a local ice cream shop) I was thinking "Ahhhhh, now for a nice break between sports" and just as we got home and I walked in the door the phone was ringing...it was Jake's baseball coach calling to say the first practice was the next day. Doooooohhhhhhhhh!!!! Anyways, springtime in Seattle looks a helluva lot like winter in Seattle - cold and wet. I like to help out at these practices so that means I get to stay out in the cold and wet with the boys. So every night after practice I could feel myself getting a little more stuffy, then suddenly whammo!! I was a full blown mucus monster.

Funny thing about baseball this year, the boys are required to wear "cups". I went and got Jake his, selecting "Youth Large" from the giant display on the wall at our local sports store. Okay so this is a delicate topic but the reason I got him Youth Large was because he has a rather large...butt. The boy can pack the food away. Let's just say he's "husky" (which is exactly what I was at his age). Anyways, when he tried the underwear/cup combo on it looked like it was about 3 times too small for him. So back to the store I went and this time I got him "Teen Large". So now the underwear fits him but the cup is um...well...huge. I mean the kid is only 9. It looks hilarious. Rock stars would be proud. Anyways, I told Trevor (our 7 year old) that we had to get him one too. At first he was little confused because he didn't know what it was for and I joked with him that I was just gonna put one of my coffee cups in his pants, but eventually he said "Oh - it's to protect your peanuts!" and I said "Uhhh, yeah!". So I was little surprised to see that instead of being all embarrassed about it he enthusiastically told me "Okay - I want a red one (cup)!" Like this is some kinda fashion statement. Ahhhh, I can't wait for puberty to start hitting them.

No comments: